The Executive Assistant to the Director and Chief Curator will be responsible for providing direct administrative support to the Director and Chief Curator of The Studio Museum in Harlem. The responsibilities and skills required of this role are wide-ranging. Candidates looking for exposure to nearly every aspect of museum administration are encouraged to apply.
Ideal applicants may come from a range of professional and educational backgrounds; however, every applicant should demonstrate their ability to bring the following characteristics to their work in the Director’s Office:
- Willingness to engage in creative problem-solving both independently and in collaboration with teams
- The ability to steward multi-step assignments from beginning to completion, across multiple stakeholder groups
- A syncretic thinker—someone who can bring details together in order to see the “big picture” and develop clear and concise summaries of sometimes complex issues
- An ear for tone, “voice” and decorum in professional correspondence.
- Willingness to draw connections between programmatic initiatives across the museum
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for art and culture, broadly, and the museum field, specifically
- Ability to communicate clearly and with enthusiasm to both internal and external stakeholders
- An engaged listener interested in identifying and asking the most relevant questions in moments of uncertainty
- Availability (electronically) during “off hours” in the event of emergencies
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee the calendar, schedule appointments, and prioritize meeting requests for the Director and Chief Curator
- Draft written correspondence directed by the Director and Chief Curator, primarily, and the Chief of Staff, secondarily
- Coordinate extensive travel and outside activities of Director and Chief Curator.
- Maintain the department’s contacts database
- Assist with preparation for meetings of the Board of Trustees.
- Maintain meticulous paper and electronic files
- Assist with general organization and upkeep of office space
- Work closely with the museum departments to facilitate the timely approval of collateral materials
- Collaborate on weekly updates to staff and Board
- Other duties as assigned
- Board of Trustees
- Staff from across the institution
- Artists, patrons and colleagues in the museum field
- The Museum seeks to attract candidates with both traditional and non-traditional professional experiences. Candidates with bachelor’s degree, especially in Africana Studies, Arts Administration, Art History, Museum Studies, or a related field, are encouraged to apply. Those with significant work experience and certifications outside of the academy or museum field will also be considered
- 5-10 years of previous Executive Assistance experience
- Demonstrated excellence in written and verbal communication.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills; experience with administrative and clerical duties.
- Excellent computer skills, particularly Microsoft 365, including Word, Outlook, and Excel
- Strong interpersonal skills, ability to work well with others as part of a team
- Familiarity with New York art and cultural communities
- Research background related to artists of African descent
Experience working with Adobe Creative Suite.
- Commitment– to the mission and values of Studio Museum in Harlem.
- Collaborative– works well with others at all levels of the organization as well as with key external stakeholders (if applicable to the role)
- Initiative– takes self-directed, appropriate action to influence outcomes and/or drive progress and positive change.
Salary is commensurate with experience within the guidelines of a small not-for-profit. Competitive benefits package is provided, including medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance, retirement account, and substantial vacation.
The position is open until filled. Send resume, cover letter and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org please include “Executive Assistant, Director’s Office” in the subject line of your email.